Wednesday, August 25, 2010

growing pains

it is quiet here this morning.

ruby is taking her short morning nap & my boys are with my parents for the day. they spent the night with them last night, the first time since before ruby came to join us, & i thought i would relish in the quiet. in not having to convince my five year old to go back to bed time & time again. to not have to get up to get my three year old a sip of soymilk in the middle of the night. to not have to wake matthew so he could go & lay down with both of them because they're up again, & i'm nursing ruby.

instead of basking in the quiet last night, i felt awkward. not sure what to do -- do i paint? do i sleep? do we just hang out? we opted for sharing dinner together & hanging out, a low-key evening that was definitely enjoyable & lovely.

but i kept waking up. at 3AM i toyed with the idea of just staying up, but i knew if i did that i would be a mess by the time i got to work tonight. so i just welcomed the waking, said a prayer for my boys, for my Love, for my little girl, for myself.

i ask, i always ask, for more patience, more kindness, more self-control, more Joy shining through my face. do they know i enJoy them? or do they only see my frustrations? do they know they make my heart sing songs i never knew it could sing? or do they only see my tired eyes?

i am enjoying, basking in the quiet today. i am praying. a LOT. i want them to see the joy in my heart every day. i want them to know in their deepest place that i love them completely, unconditionally, regardless of the days events. regardless of my exhaustion. in spite of my brokeness.

what a beautiful, growing gift my children are to me.

i am learning to welcome the growing pains.

5 comments:

  1. Gosh...I was just thinking about this. If there is one thing our children need from us, it is that we are the rocks, the solid and strong, the velvet surface of water that seems endless. We are to be both the most sensitive and the most indestructible, able to stand up to a bomb, we are the structure they take cover in when they feel unwound....and what, then, when we are unwound? Pray...I guess. Pray. Breathe and take in the growing pains and someday they won't wake up so early, someday they will sleep in til noon and you'll be waking them early with a big sigh. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was utterly beautiful. Thanks for writing it.

    ReplyDelete